Monday, February 28, 2011

THE RECYCLING OF ROSALIE


My novel, THE RECYCLING OF ROSALIE, was first published in 1999. However, I wrote the story way back in 1975 after carrying the idea around in my head for nearly a year. During the time I was writing about Rosalie Rosenberg, 29, the character Barbra Streisand portrayed in the film, "What's Up Doc?" kept  playing in my mind. Rosalie is a Jewish girl from Brooklyn living in North Hollywood in 1975 when the story begins, and she's quite the charming character with a tendency to swear!

These days I think Sarah Silverman would be perfect in the part. But her agent refused to accept the screenplay for consideration unless the film was financed. Do you happen to know Sarah Silverman? I'd love to send her the novel and my screenplay and let her decide. A fellow struggling screenwriter read my screenplay version and sent me a video of Sarah plugging Obama during his presidential campaign, and Ron said, "Tell me this isn't Rosalie!" He also said, "I think your Rosalie screenplay could do for Sarah Silverman what 'Moonstruck' did for Cher!" Which wouldn't be half bad, right? Since Cher won an Oscar for her role! But I've also thought about Reese Witherspoon in the role as a blonde version. Reese is such a good actress.
  
The year after I first wrote my story, actress Diane Ladd took an option to turn it into a film. In 1976 I wrote the screenplay adaptation...my first screenplay! I recount some of this story in my memoir, however, my friend actress Susan Strasberg was the primary reason I finished writing my first novel. As soon I wrote the first 10 pages, the first chapter, I drove over to Susan's place to have her read it. I needed reassurance, of course. And luckily for me, Susan loved it. She said, "This is very commercial." From then on she drove to my house nearly every day to read the next chapter, and Susan laughed and cried, as appropriate. Susan gave my manuscript to Diane Ladd after Thanksgiving dinner that year. Diane stayed up all night to read my story. That was very flattering, of course, and she called me around 8 o'clock the next morning.

The first psychic I went to see in 1964, who told me I was going to be a famous psychic and read for the rich and the famous...told me in 1975 (when I finally had my second reading from George Darius) that Rosalie was going to be a "major motion picture." I'm still waiting, of course. There have been 2 more options and interest by an independent film company in Austin, Texas, who refused to talk to a lawyer or agent (she had to think I was pretty stupid)...and then there was some actress on a soap opera who wanted to turn Rosalie into a dead prostitute (this is a love after death story and one of Rosalie's past lives was as a street walker in London), but I decided to pass on that plot change. And the actress evidently had financial backing from someone in Canada. Well, that was 1977, and this is more than a little late to reconsider.

I'm planning to turn THE RECYCLING OF ROSALIE into an E book sometime soon. I guess E books are doing much better than paper books these days, although I have yet to invest in a Kindle myself. I really like holding a book in my hand and sometimes flipping back through the story.

Until March l you could purchase this 5-1/2 x 8-1/2 Trade Paperback, 220 pages, for $1 in conjunction with the purchase of my memoir, COSMIC CONSPIRACY - Psychic to the Rich and Famous, 6 x 9 Trade Paperback, 418 pages:  https://www.createspace.com/3475786 $18.98, by media mail: $22.30, when purchased from me by emailing pattie5588@yahoo.com or by calling 703-373-7353. And during the month of March you can have the novel for $5 when purchased along with my memoir. Otherwise, the novel sells for $12.95, so its a DEAL! I've been giving away copies on my Blog Talk Show, Exploring the Paranormal with Pattie, to those who agree to be added to my emails and my database. That offer is still good, by the way. www.blogtalkradio.com/pattiemclaine  You can listen to old shows anytime. And listen LIVE on Sundays at 3 pm EST.

One day I still think Rosalie will make it to the big screen! Here are some quotes from the back of the book jacket:

"The characters in this story are all unforgettable. They will make you laugh and make you cry, and will live in your heart forever. Your special angel will inspire you to read this one over and over again." 
SUSAN SCOTT


"A glimpse of what heaven might be likepeace, serenity, all your dreams come trueand an angel to watch over you." 
B. L. Birute

"Weeks after reading THE RECYCLING OF ROSALIE, I find myself still chuckling over her antics. We'd all like to think Rosalie's experience of life after death is what really happens. A thoroughly entertaining read." 
Peter Kynaston

And from an email:

"I want to thank you for writing your book. I loved it! I couldn't put it down. I think it should be required reading for anyone dealing with death either by losing a loved one or having to face their own. It was wonderful."
Lynn Kaufman







  

No comments:

Post a Comment